Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Space Exposed Cinnamon Basil Seeds vs. Earth Based Cinnamon Basil Seeds


Last summer I was chosen to attend the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teacher Academy and learned SO much! While there I met NASA astronaut Barbara Morgan and at our closing dinner we were given packs of cinnamon basil seeds that had flown in space and a control pack (Earth based seeds). Unfortunately, the seeds are no longer available. Sad face. NASA partnered up with Park Seed Company to give teachers the seeds.

Three million seeds from an experiment, Materials International Space Station Experiment (MISSE-3 and -4), were flown on the International Space Station for a year. MISSE was a series of suitcase sized test beds containing many different materials include seeds that were placed outside the station to test how they withstood the harsh environment of space.

The MISSE seeds I had were flown to space onboard the Discovery Space Shuttle and attached to the exterior of the International Space Station on July 4, 2006. The seeds returned to Earth onboard the Endeavor Space Shuttle on August 21, 2007.

My students worked on a science investigation in which they compared the cinnamon basil plants and the earth based cinnamon basil plants.

Using the Scientific Method:


Our Purpose:

Student Driven Hypothesis Statement:

Student Questions for our Investigation:

The First Sprout:
Earth-Based!!!


I have some seeds left and will definitely have my students partake in this investigation next year. I may even have them build and test designs for lunar plant growth chambers! 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I like to reply to them via email! Please make sure and check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment back to you via email. Thanks for reading my blog!