Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday Snapshots: Ireland Take Two!

 
It's Saturday and you know what that means?!?! Time to link up with Run! Miss Nelson's Got the Camera! Last week I shared some photos of the trip to Ireland I took during December/January. A two week road trip packed with adventure! This week I am sharing a few more photos from that trip (and the following Saturday will be my last installment of Ireland photos...I wasn't kidding when I said I had a lot!), we saw so much amazingness (is that even a real word?) that I want to share with you all. If you missed last weeks snapshots, click here and you can view some more nifty Ireland shots....Cliff's of Mohr anyone?

Trinity Library, Dublin
I was really looking forward to visiting Trinity Library and it almost didn't happen. We decided to visit the library on our last day of our trip. Unfortunately, when we arrived they had the place closed down. I guess there was an issue with the power and none of the lights worked. Our flight took off the next morning at 11am and the library opened at 9:30am. We hopped on some public transit and made the trip again and it was THE MOST AMAZING thing I've ever seen. I love history and books...I was in heaven. If only they'd let me touch and leaf through the books!









Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin
Kilmainham Gaol is a former prison that held many Irish patriots and revolutionaries. It was very eerie, especially when the wind would blow through the jail and make ghostly noises. It was also pretty somber to stand in the jail yard where the leaders of the 1916 Rising were executed. It was built between 1792-1795.

Got some shots without tourists...a bit tricky but I waited patiently!

 
Not as eerie with all the tourists!


The oldest part of the jail. You were able to see inscriptions on the walls from the past prisoners.

 
The jail yard.

Adare
I absolutely loved this town! Which is why road trips are the best! This town wasn't on our list of sites to see, but we drove through town and stopped. So glad we did.

Check out those thatched roofs!

We ate lunch here at Aunty Lena's and is was so delicious!

This sweet bird was resting outside of the home we stayed at.


Belfast, Northern Ireland
Now for some grit! Welcome to Belfast! The "Troubles" of the past are seen all around Belfast. Especially within the Catholic and Protestant communities. Walking around the area where the Unionist and Nationalist Murals are and coming face to face with the Peace Wall and a few of the other gates and walls to keep the sides separate was unreal.
 


The view looking into the Protestant side of Belfast. Back in the day during the Troubles, those gates were closed. A lady we stayed with told us stories of how dangerous it was and how heavily guarded the gates were during that time.

 
This is the Peace Wall which is a series of border barriers that separate Irish nationalist and unionist neighborhoods. The purpose was to minimize inter-communal violence between Catholics (nationalists who self identify as Irish) and Protestants (unionists who self identify ad British). The first cement wall was 20 feet high. It was later extended another 10 feet by a solid metal addition, and then another 15 feet with a metal screen.
 




Belfast Castle
 
Our view from the apartment we stayed in.
 


post signature

14 comments:

  1. Your shots are AMAZING and breathtaking. I would love to travel and pictures like this make me want to even more so.

    Bagby
    Get Your Science on in Room 701

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bagby! Traveling and photography are two of my passions!

      Delete
  2. Yes, amazingness is most definitely a word. It's right up there with awesomeness. OMG...the Trinity Library. I'm soooo glad you got in there to take pictures. I would LOVE to go there one day. WOW! I loved last week's pictures and didn't think they could get better, but these are truly breathtaking as well. Now I'll be on pins and needles waiting for next week's pics. AMAZINGNESS!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Alison thanks for the kind words! You definitely have to put the Trinity Library on your list of places to visit! I also got to see the Book of Kells, but they strictly forbade any photographing of the book. They had the book guarded by two men!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! Your pics are amazing! I especially love the pics from the library. BEAUTIFUL and absolutely astounding to see so many books. It makes me think of the library the Beast gave to Belle in Beauty and the Beast =)

    -Amanda
    Kindergarten Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I was definitely in awe of that library. It was unreal!

      Delete
  4. Your shots are amazing!!!! What an adventure you're on. I love the library pictures so much. You could use those as art on your walls! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana!! I have definitely thought about enlarging some of the photos to put on our walls!

      Delete
  5. I'm so jealous. There is so much history and fun things to photograph. I've never been to Europe and now I'm dying to go. I just don't like flying. I'm going to have to get over that if I want some cool photos. That yellow restaurant looked so fun. All of your pictures are amazing. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You have to get over the fear of flying! Europe awaits you and I know you would take AMAZING photos! Flying isn't too bad! My only issue is getting motion sickness when landing or taking off. It has happened a few times. Most recently on our landing into Dublin. The wind was crazy and the landing was bumpy to say the least. When we finally did land I was so sick. I remember I thought we were still in the air because the plane was moving that much when stop due to the wind.

      Delete
  6. Your photographs are absolutely amazing. What an amazing experience. I would LOVE to visit - until then I will live through your photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely an adventure filled trip!

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely stunning Chelsea! You have made me want to travel to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Yes! You would love Ireland! Enjoy your 4th of July!!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and I like to reply to them via email! Please make sure and check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment back to you via email. Thanks for reading my blog!