Thursday, May 8, 2014

Dot Art!


I wish we had some sort of art program for students at my school.  It is such a shame kids don't get the opportunity to be creative and explore the different forms of art in school. When my students do work on art projects, they struggle with letting the creativity flow. They are so consumed with their art not being "perfect" etc.

There is a great picture book title "The Dot" by Peter Reynolds explores a child's difficulty with creativity. If you don't have a copy of the book you can show your students the animated version of the book on Youtube.

After watching the video, my students drew a single dot somewhere on their paper. From there they let their creativity flow and drew lines, shapes, whatever their heart desired. They struggled a bit at first, but soon they were drawing! The one rule they had was they couldn't use a pencil, only the marker. This allowed them to get away from things having to be "perfect."



Here is what you will need:
  • white paper 9x9
  • black felt tip pens 
  • watercolors
  • construction paper (to frame the final piece of artwork)



post signature

2 comments:

  1. They turned out awesome, Chelsea! Our Guidance counselor started Zentangle with my kids yesterday and they loved it! I'm planning on giving them some more time tomorrow to work on it. I wish we had more time in our days!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's a shame that your school doesn't have an art program; ours has been threatened for years but has never actually been cut (yet). Your students are lucky to have you! These turned out beautiful!
    ~Heather
    Loose Shoelaces

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I like to reply to them via email! Please make sure and check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment back to you via email. Thanks for reading my blog!