Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Prove It!

Linkin' up with Fourth Grade Flipper, for Tried it Tuesday. Of course I'm always late with this kinda stuff. I still don't know how you all do it! I seem to blog in ebbs and flows...

I came across a great common core math resource and it definitely makes my kids think! Megan Astor has come up with an activity she calls Prove It! She has made them for 2nd-5th grades...check out her TPT store. I love how the Prove It activities give the students an equation or word problem that has been "solved" and they need to prove the answer to be true or false and be able to explain why the answer is true or false. There have been a few that have really stumped my students, which I think is a good thing. It really makes them think about how they would go about solving the problem and so forth. I must say, it was rough in the beginning because they weren't used to getting problems that have been solved and having to prove it true or false. They really struggled with defending their reasoning, but it is getting better! I use the activity as a warm up activity before our daily math lesson. There are only 35 problems in the packet, so I am thinking of creating my own when I run out.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Megan-Astor/PreK-12-Subject-Area/Math

Since we are limited on copies at my school, I chart the Prove It problems on chart paper and have the students work it out in their math journals. I then ask a volunteer to come up to the charted problem and they explain their thinking process and  the steps to proving the answer true or false. They LOVE coming up and getting to be the "teacher" and write on the chart. :)


http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/

post signature

2 comments:

I love reading your comments and I like to reply to them via email! Please make sure and check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment back to you via email. Thanks for reading my blog!